Friday, January 7, 2011

First full day

2:55 PM 05/01/2011
I am doing the breakfast shifts here at lockheart lake camp on the ice roads.  So after going to bed at 10pm last night I was up at 330am this morning and was in the kitchen and going at 415 after a shower and getting ready.
Breaky had to be out and ready for 530 this morning and it was no problems at all, other than me not paying attentioon to the dials and not having the oven on because of it!  So the bacon took a lot longer than it should!
rob came in at about 8 or so just as i was in the middle of makeing sandwiches for the road crews to take if they wanted.
A great day of cooking and organizing things a little more.  Shane showed up at 8 and went right to work, altho when i made him some breakfast he went and sat down in the dinning room to eat it!  WRONG!  Eat while working young man!

I realized that I have only had about 12 or so hours sleep since friday morning, no wonder i am starting to feel a little mentally slowed down eh?

So today I was in the kitchen at 415 and worked till 2 so thats 10 hours and ill be going back to help rob with dinner from 4 till 8 or so. so all in all only a 14 hour day.  Its just going to take a little time to adjust to it again is all.

Yesterday while closing down for the night i noticed a large bump on my left arm just up from my wrist.  Its swollen and hurts like a basterd and i can hardly lift anything with that arm at all.  Rob wanted me to go see the first aid lady(Lee), and she seems to think that i bumped it hard enough to damage the coating arround the tendon.  She gave me a tensor bandage and told me to use it when ever i can.

From what i have seen so far it is BEAUTIFUL up here, it is a little intimidating because of all the wide openess of the landscape.  No moutains to  enclose you and make you feel safe, this openess makes me feel exposed...
I found out today that we are only about 100km south of the tree line....  yeah THAT CLOSE.

Anyway I am going to go for a smoke and perhaps a walk while there is still some day light.  We are only getting about 4.5 hours a day right now, and its been cloudy all day today and yesterday.

Well I just came back from a 10 minute walk, nice out, cloudy but still nice.  Im told that its about -30 or so, and its just fine out, not too bad at all.  feels colder at home at -5, but while i was out the wind kicked up hard and WOW was that cold, it even started to freeze my goatee, it was actually getting coated in frost in that short time.  I sure wouldnt want to get caught stuck out there.  I had to chek into the office before going out for a walk.  I was told to watch out for wolveriens, i thought she was jokeing....but aparently not.  I was also told that they would be having radios for us to take with us if we are leaving the imediate area of the camp and we have to have a time to return by or they send out a search party...  wow this is serious stuff up here.

I just got out of the kitchen for the night.  LONG day, but ill get used to them again real soon.  415am till 830pm with a 2 hour break, 14 hour days are good for ya right?

I dont know if i mentioned it earlier or not, and im not going to read back and find it.  I hurt my arm yesterday while unloading stock and putting it away.  The first aid attendant think i have ruptured a tendon in my forearm just behind my left wrist.  Hurts like a sob and i can hardly lift anything at all today, i cant even really move my hand....  sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment